What is Media Liability Insurance?
Media liability is a specialized type of errors & omissions insurance designed to protect classes such as publishers, producers, broadcasters, and other media-related businesses. Social media and new technology have contributed to an uncertain legal landscape for many types of media companies. A good media liability policy will protect the insured from risks related to defamation, invasion of privacy, infringement of copyright, and plagiarism.
Why Have Media Liability Insurance?
Apogee can offer tailored policies that fit specifically with the needs of media clients creating or disseminating content. As methods of content distribution or constantly changing, media liability will offer broad protection all types of media professionals. This coverage will allow the insured to put aside worry and focus on their business.
The most common claims on a media policy come from:
- Invasion of privacy
- Copyright infringement
Media Claims Example
A book publisher was sued for trademark infringement by another publisher arising from the cover of a soon to be released book, which appeared in its spring catalog listing new release titles. The plaintiff alleged that the cover was similar to its series of popular fantasy books, which would create confusion in the marketplace. The policy provided coverage for trademark infringement, saving the insured over $25,000 in litigation expenses.
Coverage May Include:
- Limits available up to $10M for select risks
- Available on either an occurrence or claims-made basis
- Pro-pak endorsements to meet the unique coverage needs for a wide variety of media classes
- Worldwide coverage
- Fully customized media coverage schedules
- Claims Expense in addition to the Limit of Liability for select classes
- Ability to write Media Liability stand-alone or with Professional Liability
- Quick turnaround times for proposals and policy issuance